Saturday, July 31, 2010

The guitar (CHAK CHAK CHAK)

Friends who had backpacked through Guatemala in the past told me of cheap, beautiful instruments that waited to be plucked from the bustling markets. I visited the Antiguan market and found nothing, although I could have had a pirated Space Jam DVD in dozens of languages.
The guitar shop was too expensive. I asked Eric about the friend he mentioned. We crossed the street and into the midday feeding frenzy of Parque Central. Tourists sat on benches that circled the fountain. Shoeshine made their rounds while shouting men handed out pamphlets for tour companies.
Eric surveyed the people. We circled the fountain until he found the man he was looking for. He was about my age, and spoke into his cellphone in lightning fast Spanish.
He put the phone in his pocket and greeted me in the typical Guatemalan way, a quick slap of the hand followed by a light fist pound. I felt significantly cooler for now doing this without hesitation, as if it loaned me credibility.
I told him I wanted a guitar.
He rubbed his hands together, nodding. Yes, he did have guitars. Then he asked me what I wanted.
Confused, having just told him, I said ¨una guitarra classico.¨ I just wanted a little piece of shit that could endure the wears of travel, and the general neglect that comes along with my ownership.
He continued to nod and looked directly at me for the first time. I realized he had tried to sell me coke after complimenting my tattoos a couple of days before. He stopped rubbing his hands and made two sound.
¨CHAK CHAK CHAK, o , RATATATATATAT¨
Huh?
He slowed his speech.
¨Te quiere, CHAK, CHAK, CHAK, o, RAT-TA-TAT.¨
Did I want chak or rat? What?
He formed his hand like a pistol. ¨CHAK, CHAK, o RATATATAT¨ he explained. By RAT, one of his hands was at his hip, the other in front of him swaying from side to side as if he was spraying bullets with a tommy gun.
Did I want a handgun, or an automatic rifle.
Not knowing what to do I faked a casual laugh and stood awkwardly until he figured out I didnt need an AK-47. Although, the 9 MM was only slightly more than the guitar price Eric quoted me.
The man watched his munitions dealing wash away. How else could he make money off of me?
¨Nice tattoos...¨

No comments:

Post a Comment